Friday 31 January 2014

MoserBaer Swivel USB Flash Drive - Memory/Storage Devices

Hello everyone!

Today I am going to review MoserBaer Swivel USB Flash Drive. I am using 8GB USB2.0 Pen Drive to review, though some broad ones apply to all.



Looks




Talking about the looks, since Red is my favourite colour, I'd say it looks awesome! It is not red to be precise, it is rather, maroon-ish, deep dark red you may say. The body is translucent sort of so you can see the circuitry a little bit. It looks nice overall.

I'd say 4.5/5 for the looks. Why not 5/5? Well, it could have been better, we all have seen decorative Pen Drives, right?



Packaging




Packaging is great. The cuts you see on the pic are because I clicked the pics after unpacking the pen drive. The packaging is good because it is nicely packed and easy to open. Else some tough packed PDs are so difficult to unpack! That's why I say it is nicely packed.

4.5/5 for the packing! Not 5/5 because if the packing was such that I could keep the PD back in the packing after use, like a box type pack, it'd been better.



Price


If you get a deal below 400 INR it is an okay deal, and if you get it below 320, it's real awesome and worth it! I bought it @Rs. 319 so I was quite happy. The Pen Drive is good and reliable so don't worry.

Technical Specs




The above results are through the Windows Checkdisk I ran on the Pen Drive after formatting it in NTFS file system. This flash drive has:

  • USB 2.0 Interface
  • 8GB capacity(Gives around 7.8GB)
  • Swivel style
  • Read Speed, upto 16MBps(According to my tests)
  • Write Speed, upto 6-10MBps(According to my tests)
  • 56.5x20.8x11.8(LxWxH)mm
  • 10g
  • CE FCC
  • Limited Lifetime 2 year warranty

Freebies


MoserBaer these days is selling the PenDrives bundled with a nice freebie. It is offering a 6 month susbcription of Trust Port Antivirus for free with most Pen Drives. The pen drive I am talking about here is also bundled with one. Of course it is just an okay A/V but well, it does add to the value for the money you pay, right?

Benchmarks




I used the Ubuntu Disk Utility on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for benchmarking the Pen Drive. The images are screen shots of the tests I ran on this Pen Drive.

As you can see the read speed is satisfactory for a USB 2.0 Pen Drive, but the write speed ain't. Though when I ran my own tests with data transfers, I saw the write speed were higher than 3MBps, again satisfactory for a USB 2.0 Pen Drive.



Speed Tests


Data Type Max. Speed Min. Speed Average Speed
Large File 14.23 MBps 5.87MBps 10MBps
Small Files/
Discrete Data
8MBs 3MBps 6MBps

Warranty


The Pen Drive comes with a limited lifetime 2 year warranty. The warranty is limited to replacement only and does not include direct, consequential, or incidental loss arising out of use of, or inability to use the product. Proof of purchase is required to get the warranty. At most they'd replace your device with a refurbished product(NOT A NEW ONE!)

MoserBaer Contact Information


Mfg: 66, Udyog Vihar, Greater NOIDA, U.P. - 201306

Support Executive: 438, Okhla Industrial Estate, New Delhi - 110020
Toll Free Number: 1800-111-113 (MTNL/BSNL/Airtel/Reliance)
Contact: 011-40594512
eMail: customercare@moserbaer.in
Website: http://www.moserbaerconsumerproducts.com/
Buy Online: http://shop.moserbaer.in/

Verdict




3.5/5 stars

It is a good pen drive for everyday simple use, like using in office, or with friends, etc. Though if you are a "speed freak" then you should not go for this one. You should rather not go for any USB 2.0 Pen Drive then. For normal users who want to stay pocket-friendly, go for this Pen Drive. It is really worth buying and a good product!

11 comments:

  1. Old Fashioned but very reliable.

    I have had this Pen Drive for some time and I waited purposely for so long to write a review. For some fashion conscious people this may be a tart too big or bulky or 'old fashioned' but believe me, it serves the purpose very well.

    I have used this drive is extreme conditions. Dust, heat, humidity and even pouring rain. It stood as a winner. I would recommend this to anyone who wishes to have a dependable drive. Especially if you have a multi purpose use like creating a bootable USB for your Linux or for that matter installing a DVD image and make it work when your DVD drive has failed or what I use it now as my storage to carry my favourite music when I go to work. I plug it in to car stereo that has a USB port and voila I have my won music without the hassle of carrying a bulkier MP3 player or clumsy CD case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! THat's a substitute to my long review! LOL! :D Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. best product at good price

    I Tested dis pen drive on windows 7 on usb port 2.0 and 3.0 here are the results -

    Writing 3GB of data takes about 6 min @ speed of 6-8 Mbps.. which is good at dis price point for port 2.0 and for usb 3.0 it is amezing 9 Mbps....
    .
    Reading Speed was awesome got 15 Mbps for usb 2.0 while coping the same data from pendrive... and for 3.0 it upto 33 Mbps

    Fully Satisfied.............greatproduct.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a piece worth not a single penny, probably the worst of its category, very slow data transfer speed, u would not be able to fill its 7 nd 1/2 gb less than 30 min..... wastage of time. sold it within a period of 30 days from purchase. instead of purchasing it add some more amount and go for hp's pen drives.... good transfer speed reliable data storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what do you expect from a USB 2.0 pendrive? Next, if you use an OS older than Windows 8, the copy speed is less. Try linux to test your product to know the real speed. Moreover it depends on te type of data nd filesystem you use. If you format PD in NTFS format and then read/write, the speeds would be quite good.

      Delete
  4. my tests have been different. I used it on Windows 8.1 and I got an average speed of more than 11mbps!! It was 13.1 mbps constant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too slow in speed, no indicator for data is accessing or not.
    Durable in performance and also looks good but only the speed problem is their.
    It must have access indicator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, the indicator should be there I agree. But the speed is not that big a problem. It is a cheap pen drive

      Delete
  6. This is so great post information. Actually the bulk flash drives is a best USB flash drive, It can be protect your data form viruses and any other computer debugs ... thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for your time here. I would love to hear from you!